Thursday, May 18, 2023

Mustang Mania 2023 - Part 07

 A few weeks ago, Levi had his first trip off the property.  We took him to Shelby's.  She is another trainer that only lives a few miles from the ranch.  He loaded great.  In fact, he may have even done better than Pigeon.  



Shelby has a lot of fantastic obstacles.  So while Sid was waiting for her lesson, she took Levi on a field trip.  He was amazing.  There were a few things that spooked him a bit, but he really handled it well and settled nicely.  Shelby has a cat that Levi was not too sure about.  It was great to get both Sid and Levi out.  They learned quite a lot during the visit.

I just adore Levi.  He lets me do quite a bit with him.  Sid is starting to trust me a bit more and has even given me the green light to 'lead' him around the ranch.  The first time I did it, I asked her what I should do if he spooked.  She said, "Whatever you do, DO NOT let go of the rope.".  I am very good at taking direction:).  So, when he spooked near the dressage court, I hung on for the ride.  My sneakers were sliding all over the place, but I did it and he settle down pretty quickly.  Sid tells me that he just has not figured out that he is bigger and stronger than us yet.  I will take it though.  I am learning a lot on this journey and my confidence with horses is growing as well.

I have made it my mission to de-shed and groom Levi.  I have been training his mane to one side.  He is looking pretty handsome.


Sid bought some buoys at the store and attached them to the surcingle.  This is supposed to simulate a bit of weight and the legs of a rider.  He got a bit stirred up, but again settled down quickly.  That really does seem to be the theme with him.

He has not been a fan of the blue tarp.  Sid had tried a number of different tactics.  I told her that Pam was letting Lester chew on a tarp in the round pen.  The next day, Sid sent me this picture.  She put his grain on it, and he had no problem stepping on the tarp to enjoy the snack.

No comments: