Friday, October 26, 2018

Potato Night, SOM and Ladies Golf!

In Awana, there are them nights throughout the year.  Some of the theme nights are for a good cause (noodle night, operation Christmas child).  Other nights are just random acts of fun (camo night, crazy hair night).  This year, they have added potato night.  The kids could purchase a potato and decorate it any way they wanted.  Kendall and Sidney are just like Kevin in that they LOVE Pinterest and crafty DIY channels.  They were thrilled to rise to the potato challenge.
 
Kendall chose a rare breed of potato called the 'potato whale'.  She painted her potato blue and used modeling clay for the fins.
 
 Sidney is our quiet comedian.  She chose the 'couch potato' complete with a throw blanket.
 
 
Verdict:  I do not know about the kids, but the rest of the leaders and myself LOVED potato night.  The kids got very into it.  At the end of the night, we had a potato parade for them to show off their good works.
 
We just finished up parent teacher conferences, so this was not surprise to us, Sidney received the Student of the Month (SOM) award for fourth grade.  The trait for the month was 'being respectful'.  We are very proud of the girls.  They both work very hard and generally love school.  For the first time, we took them with us to parent teacher conferences.  The girls walked away on cloud 9.  They loved hearing all of the good comments about them.  It was also great for them to see how teachers and parents are really a team in their education process.  I asked Sidney what her favorite part of the conference was.  She said it was when her teacher commented that she can see when Sidney is getting frustrated with a new concept.  Mrs. Z said that she will walk over and chat with her.  Sidney told me that it just made her happy that Mrs. Z noticed those things.

If you have been watching my Instagram, you will know that I have really been taking up golf this summer.  Golf is a sport I have toyed with off and on for a few years now.  This summer I gave it some effort.  It was a blast.  Bear in mind, I have yet to keep score!  I even played a round of nine by myself a few weeks ago and had a great time.

My friend, Charon, and I went out as well.  That was particularly fun.  It was a no pressure kind of day.  Play, pick up when you need.  Want to practice fairway woods?  Throw the ball onto the fairway during the long holes and go for it.  It was a great time!
 
The girls golf coach is now a pro at the golf course down from our house.  He has been doing a Friday night clinic.  Kendall and I have been participating in it as much as possible.  It has really improved my game.  Here is a bit of a picture overload from the clinic.
 






No comments: