Thursday, November 16, 2023

Franken-tree.

So I noticed this split in my front Ash tree.  I must say, Ash trees are a pain in the butt.  That being said, the two that I have are so giant, there is no turning back now.  My arborist compared them to teenagers, "You care for them and nurture them and then hope for the best."  While he was out to my house, I asked him about this split.  He showed me step by step how to 'reinforce' it,  He said that I should give it a try, because I would not want to pay his fee.  That was a bit unnerving, but I talked my dad into giving me a hand with the task (aka I supervise, and he does the work).  I even had to buy a new drill for the task.


I was a bit skeptical and nervous that the bit would get stuck.  My dad took it nice and easy and the bit drilled through the tree like butter.  After the hole was in the tree we put an all thread rod with washers and nuts on each end.  I lovingly refer to the front Ash as my 'franken-tree'.  Let's hope the wind does not have other ideas.


Speaking of nurturing things along, my house is of the age that things are going to start needing replaced.  I walked through the garage to a trickle coming from the bottom of my water heater on Wednesday.  On Thursday, the trickle had become a small stream.  I called the plumber.  He kindly said he could come out on Friday morning.  Thank goodness, as Friday morning, it felt like we had a river and we lost hot water, as the pilot light was extinguished.  I am thankful that I have some great people I can call on when things go sideways!

No comments: