Friday, February 26, 2021

Making History.

 A while back my sister sent me a link to a Covid-19 pediatric vaccine trial.  At first I was really unsure, but did a bit of checking into it.  The trial was limited to 4 different cities across the nation.  Meridian just happened to be one of them.  The trial was also limited to 3,000 kids.  I called and did the initial phone screening.  Each of the girls take a regular prescription medication, so I thought that might eliminate them as candidates.  As it turned out, the medications they take did not exclude them from the trial.

Next step was to ask the girls.  At first they were not sure either.  They read through the documents and had a few questions about the process.  We also learned that there would be a 2 in 3 chance they would get the actual Moderna vaccine and a 1 in 3 chance they would get the placebo.  One of the tricky points was that at some of the appointments they would be required to get blood drawn and have their noses swabbed.  I thought certainly this would be a deal breaker.  After some consideration, they both agreed to go for it.  

They are 2 of the 3,000 kids trialing the Moderna vaccine.  I am very impressed by their willingness to help advance the vaccine.  I know this is a controversial topic, but for them, they are simply proud that they are making a difference in hopefully protecting society.  I am happy to report that they both showed a tremendous amount of bravery and maturity at the first vaccination appointment (four hours long).  They survived the blood draw, the nasal swab and the millions of questions they had to answer.  You go girls!  One shot down...one to go.  The trial is an entire year in length, which includes periodic monitoring.


No comments: