Saturday, October 26, 2019

Mai Tais, Sunsets and Saltwater.

We took a trip to Maui this month.  We had booked it in January and had been looking forward to it all year.  My parents came with us.  We had the most amazing rooms that overlooked the ocean and we were able to shout across the balcony rails to each other.  The week prior to leaving, I had started to look into booking a bunch of activities.  However, I realized that what we needed was some good old fashioned beach time!  We had all been working so hard at school and work in order to really relax and enjoy.  Well, that is exactly what we did.  We had mai tai's and mud pies every evening.  We got to know our server, Alfie, quite well throughout the trip.  He made sure we were always well taken care of.


The girls put on their suits and headed to the ocean as soon as we got there.  We were actually a bit north of the airport in Kaanapali.  It was quiet.  The beaches were not crowded, and it was only three steps from our hotel to the sand. 

When I was not playing in the ocean with the girls, I was sitting in my beach chair enjoying a good book and conversation with my parents.

We swam in the ocean by day and enjoyed the ocean bottom pool in the evenings.  It was a perfect combination.


The hotel offered yoga in the mornings.  This was the beautiful view from my yoga retreat.

We did book one tourist activity, a Luau.  I am so glad we did.  The girls really enjoyed every minute of it.  My parents and I had been to Luau's in the past, so it was not as exciting for us.  However, everyone must experience a Luau at least once in their lifetime.


Kendall coerced my mom into heading to the front for hula lessons.  They had such a fun time.  We also had quite a good time watching them!

The girls checked out boogie boards from the hotel each day.  My  dad and I gave it a hand, but I think we were both hoping for bigger waves.  The surfer in us kept wanting to 'paddle out'.

We spent a day moving from beach to beach looking for good snorkeling, to no avail.  Sid was a bit nervous.  Once I finally got her comfortable and in the water, a sea turtle swam by.  I started screaming with excitement.  Before I knew it, Sidney had run to shore and asked me if I had seen a shark.  Silly girl.  In typical fashion, Kendall had no fear, but she absolutely terrified me.  I nominated my dad to stay by her side as she kept going further and further out.

We did go to the Maui Aquarium on the recommendation of one of Kendall's friends.  I am so glad we did for a number of reasons.  Reason number one is that is was incredibly awesome!  Reason number two, it was beautiful to see the fish, since we did not have great luck on our snorkeling adventure.  Reason number three, it was incredibly educational.  Reason number four, they had an AMAZING gift shop.  I could go on and on.

We may as well stop answering out phones, because I am pretty sure Hollywood will be calling after they see our awesome 'act surprised' shot below.  I am a glutton for tourist pictures!

In all seriousness, it was the most beautiful, relaxing trip ever.  We thought often of Kevin and wished he could have been there with us.  He would have told us the same pineapple and mango stories over and over again.  My mom bought me a sweatshirt while we there that said, 'saltwater heals everything'.  While that may not be true, it was very healing to my soul!

No comments: