Monday, October 28, 2019

Birds of Prey and Fall Flights.

Sidney needed to write a paper for one of her classes about an environmental issue.  She had earned a set of passes for the World Center for Birds of Prey  I agreed to take her there on a Sunday afternoon.  It is only about a mile from our house, and I had never actually went through it.  She and I set out for the adventure.  


We got there just before feeding time.  It was both fascinating and disgusting.  I would encourage any one who has not been there to go.  I learned so much!

We got lucky in that they were doing 'Fall Flights' that evening.  This only happens during the fall and only a few nights a week.  We ran back to the house to pick up Kendall and Grandma Karen.  When we got back, they had a falcon and a screech owl in the courtyard and were doing demonstrations. 

After that, we took seats in the outdoor amphitheater.  The presentation was about one hour in length.   They flew four different types of birds over our heads; an owl, a hawk, and two types of falcons.  It was beautiful.  One of the birds dive bombed me, no joke.  I nearly fell off my concrete perch.  The man running the show, even joked that he should mention their insurers.  The girls thought it was pretty hilarious.


It was definitely a worthwhile trip!

No comments: