Sunday, June 10, 2012

Worms, Puppy Love and Plein Air Painting

We had a great weekend.  There were a few breaks in the rain and the sun prevailed.  Today was gorgeous.  The kids had their friends, the Nelson's, for a sleepover last night.  Eli informed me that I cook so fancy.  When I asked him to elaborate he said, "You make mummy dogs, my mom only makes them once a year."  Yep, that's me, the fancy cook.  For those that know Rebecca, she puts Martha Stewart to shame.  But me, I prevail with my over-the-top mummy dogs.  The truth is, I know that the kids LOVE them so every time they come over we have fruit salad and mummy dogs.  The fruit salad is also loved by all, but we really just enjoy singing the song (think...the "wiggles").  If you are unfamiliar, they have some fantastic you tube videos.  They are annoying as all get out, but beware you will find yourself singing their songs repeatedly.

Kendall is obsessed with worms.  Our backyard is full of them. 
Today she asked if she could use her squinkee jar as a worm house.  I said, "Of course."  I even threw in a little potting soil.  Before I knew it, she had dumped in a bunch of water and was calling it worm soup.  Kevin explained that the worms may not do so well in water alone, and I was not about to give up any more precious potting soil so she had to resort to the dirt pile.  She spooned the dirt in happily, declaring loudly that she was going to be an "Earth Expert" when she grows up (translation Geologist???).  That is not too far removed from her earlier aspirations of gardener (and parent and cheerleader).  Very interesting combination.  I think she decided against being a parent after she asked how babies get out of their moms tummy.  I promised her that it was all worth it, but she was not buying it. 
Sidney spent the afternoon cleaning out the playhouse.  She then moved her stroller, baby bed, crib and shopping cart into the backyard.  She is napping now, but will soon realize all of those items will have to be hauled back into the "real" house.  That is the joy of living with two large dogs.  Kevin has to constantly remind me that the dogs were our first children as I shout out to them that I am taking them to the pound. 

My mom was visiting me a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I remembered painting blocks of wood when I was little?  After a moment I began to recall doing so.  She said that it supplied hours of entertainment and cost virtually nothing as the wood blocks were just leftover scraps.  I decided to pull out the paints and wood today.  My mom was right.  The girls loved every minute of it. 
I thought I would give a shed update.  Kevin has finished putting it together and we painted it a couple of weeks ago.  It turned out very nice.  If you listen carefully you will hear Kevin performing the Home Improvement grunt.  Our Christmas decorations and lawn equipment are safe and happy now.
Before my mom started doing custom window treatments, she used to sew children's clothing that sold in a few boutiques up North.  She did an amazing job.  I managed to snag some of her remaining inventory as she exited that part of her business.  I think I nabbed these before Kendall was even born.  It is always a treat when I pull out their clothes for the next season and find one of my mom's creations.  Sometimes I am even so lucky as to have a matching set!

No comments: