Monday, May 16, 2011

The Donut Coma and Channeling Marilyn - Round 2

The girls are certainly not deprived children, but donuts are just not a staple around our house.  Much to their luck, I went grocery shopping Friday evening.  As I was heading past the bakery, the voice in the loudspeaker announced that donuts were half off.  Now who can resist a bargain?  Naturally I grabbed a box.  I did not tell the girls about them, since I knew they would never go to sleep if they knew that yummy donuts were waiting for them when they woke up.  Most certainly I would get the pitter patter of feet every hour through the night and the question "Mommy is it time to wake up yet?"  So when Sid was the first to rise on Saturday morning, she got first pick of the bunch.  I could not resist grabbing the camera.  It is apparent that humans are born to love donuts.  She did not need any instruction on how to eat them.  Nor did she need any coaxing to give it a try. 

You can almost see the sugar coma setting in before the goods were even finished!

Sid is on a parent imposed hiatus from the kiddie pool for the time being.  There are a few rules she must learn to follow before we let her back in.  I know, I know...mean mommy!  She does not seem to mind too much (I think she is missing the point - that sitting outside the pool is supposed to teach her a lesson).  I have mentioned previously about her ability to channel Marilyn Monroe.  Well, here she is again.  Gotta love those heater vents...

Kevin worked really hard in the yard this weekend.  Check out his handy work.  He cut out the grass for the patio extension, relocated the sprinkler pipes and poured the concrete. 

While that was curing (with the help of a little rain), he put together our new outdoor fireplace.  The next day he put the fireplace outside and fired it up.  Now we just need the rain and snow (yes, snow in May - ridiculous) to stop long enough to enjoy the fire.  I am so looking forward to hanging out in the backyard!  Next on his list...He wants to stain the concrete.  I think it will look marvelous!

I am looking forward to this weekend in a big way. My Brother-in-Law coaches varsity baseball and they have made it to State again this year. So my sister and the gang are heading down Wednesday. Grandma Terrell arrives Friday. Kendall has her first official dance recital on Saturday and Sid is looking forward to introducing Grandma Terrell and Cousin Dylan to her soccer coach.  Good times!

2 comments:

Gerbicks said...

uh, i hope wes channels his inner kevin at some point to re-do our backyard/patio! hello, it looks wonderful!
snow in may, what?
& the sugar coma picture is awesome!

The Reed Ranch said...

this is just tooooo precious! Love the Marilyn Monroe look-alike.... oh and Kevin aint so bad at his immitation of Curb Appeal (Backyard Edition)... love the fireplace.. you'll get lots of use out of that... perhaps even while the snowflakes continue to fall!
BBQ hotdogs here we come?
love ya
g&j at the reed ranch