Sunday, September 26, 2010

That Hill Has Nothing On Us.

Kendall has conquered the little hill by our house. Several weeks ago, she was riding down the hill for the first time and lost control. She proceeded to fly head over handle bars. Thank goodness for her helmet! After a few minutes of tears, like the mean mother I am, we climbed back to the top of the hill and learned all about "riding the brakes". It took a good 20 minutes to make it back down the hill that day. She has been down it a couple of times since, but it has taken a bit of time since she comes to a complete stop after each rotation of the tire. Not yesterday! She rode down like a champ. The neighbor lady and her five kids even came out to cheer Kendall on. As I was minimizing the whole thing, the woman said "No, really that is quite an accomplishment. My six year old still walks her bike down that hill." Great job Kendall!

No more toddler beds or cribs...
WooHoo. Sidney now has a big girl bed. It is a captain's bed with drawers underneath. On night three, she fell out of the bed. I heard a bit of whimpering and went to check it out. There she was sitting next to the bed. Uh Oh. Now we line up Winnie, Tigger, Big Bear and Lambie along the edge. It is week 3 or 4 and no more falling out of the bed for Sid. I cannot say the same for Kendall. She had never fallen out of bed I think?). About two nights after Sidney fell out of bed, we heard a loud thump in the middle of the night. Kevin and I went flying into Kendall's room and she was fast asleep right next to her bed. Kevin was assessing the situation trying to wake her up and ask her if she was okay. Seriously...she did not even wake up. Crazy! So we picked her up and put her back into the bed. That was the end of it.

The new school...
They love it. Thank goodness! I mean REALLY love it. We have not had tears. They both are like spunges learning all kinds of new things. The second week without my prying Kendall told me, "I really miss Rebecca, but I love my new school." Fair enough. Sidney's favorite song seems to be "Head, shoulders, knees and toes". Her teachers absolutely adore her. They have said they wish they had a thousand Sidney's. Hmmm...does this mean I should be grateful for all of her 2 year old whining...I think not. She has also come home many days with piles of sand in her clothes. Kendall's class gets to take field trips on the school bus. This excites her to no end. She has also told us about Brian who is not so nice. Here is her conversation with Kevin:
Kendall: He tries to take off my socks.
Kevin: Then just walk away.
Kendall: I did, and he followed me.
Kevin: Then take off his socks.
Heather: Really? Is that what you want to teach her? God help us!

Dance Class...
We have been suckered in by a VERY excited Kendall. She is in week two of her dance class. Let me say that I have been very impressed. She has learned one routine (which she CAN repeat). She has also started learning all of the positions, by other names of course (i.e. "mermaid fins" and "picking apples on her toes"). She also has learned ballet arms, which is "very tiring".

Potty Training...
UGH. I think we are ALMOST ready to dive in. Not sure if I want to do that yet. Although, I do think we have a "little" bit of time. The other day when Sidney woke up and grabbed my hand and said poopy and walked me to the bathroom, I knew it was almost time. Don't get too excited though, she has yet to do a darned thing in the toilet. She sits on it quite frequently, but not so much as a tinkle. Oh well. I am positively hoping that she will tackle the toilet the same way she has tackled many other things thus far. Observe, think about it, observe, think about it, DO IT! I can only hope.

1 comment:

Gerbicks said...

way to go, kendall! we have a similar hill near our house...only adeline takes her feet off of the pedals completely, sticks them straight out & lets the bike go at full speed. it scares the crap out of me. she's also smacked right into a mini van that was parked on the sidewalk...thankfully, not leaving a mark on either the car or her. this stuff is hilarious & wonderful...