Saturday, July 17, 2010

Conquering Our Fears.

I am not a person of many fears.  After all, I have jumped out of an airplane onto land, jumped out of a helicopter into the ocean, fired an M16 rifle, wore chemical warfare gear for days (which causes most people to hyperventilate), ran a marathon, and spent a night alone in a bathroom in Mexico (don't ask).

No.  As my sister put it, my fears are more of the "irrational" kind.  Things that most people would not even consider.  So when the oral surgeon told me last Monday that he recommended general anesthesia to extract my wisdom tooth, I broke out into a cold sweat.  Immediately I suggested that novacaine would be fine.  He said I could do what I wanted but suggested that I would "certainly not want to be awake for this".  I got an epidural when I had a baby, so why did this freak me out?  My fear is not totally unfounded.  In my college psychology class, we had to watch a movie about a women who was anesthetized during surgery but she could feel everything.  YIKES!  I still remember her torturous screams.  In the end, I decided  to listen to the doctor.  Now I am void of ALL wisdom teeth and hope that it's removal will relieve my headaches and toothaches.  My dentist told me to do this a year and a half ago.  Clearly I am not a good listener.

Sidney also conquered one of her fears today.  The carwash.  Yes, she has been TERRIFIED of the carwash.  So today when we decide it was time for the van to get washed, I prepared myself for the blood curtling screams.  However, today was different.  The man at the carwash gave the girls tootsie roll pops.  He is my hero!  Here is a picture of Sid actually LAUGHING during the experience.  We were inside the actual carwash when this picture was taken.  Way to go Sid!

1 comment:

Phone: (208) 255-8085 said...

I have not heard the story of the night in the bathroom maybe I never will!!!!!!!!!!!!!Love Mom