Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Terrell!

For those who do not know already, Terrell is my mother-in-law. For many people that brings up images of “Everybody Loves Raymond”. Not for me. Terrell is the best mother one could ask for. We have been through many things together. She has supported me fiercely as I stumble through marriage and motherhood. One memory I have of Terrell was when she came to visit right after Sidney was born. She was looking to help out. So I thought of our shared love for cooking and asked her if she would bake a few dishes to freeze. She browsed through one of my cookbooks and off to the store we went. She seriously spent an entire day chopping, mixing and sautéing. By the end of the day, my freezer was full. As most new mothers can understand, I was VERY grateful!

Another time I recall is when she came to stay with us in California while Kevin had surgery. We spent 2 weeks at USC Medical Center leaning on each other. That was a very difficult time for all of us and having her there meant the world. It was also during that visit that Terrell and Kevin’s Aunt Sherry talked my way out of a traffic ticket. Now that was impressive.

She has taught me so much about hospitality, kindness and tradition. We are very different in many ways, but she has embraced me for who I am. She has allowed me to make mistakes along the way without watching through critical eyes. I am very lucky to have such a woman in my life. And, my girls are fortunate to have such a wonderful, loving, Grandma!!!

No comments: