Monday, September 11, 2023

'Ride the Brand'.

Mustangs have a very specific, very meaningful brand.  To learn more about it visit The Mustang Heritage Foundation.  For some crazy reason, Levi's brand never came through.  We have been trying to coordinate a time to get out to the BLM to have it re-done.  They only have the liquid nitrogen out there on certain occasions.  Sidney and I were so excited to see what it might look like that we sat down and used the key above to figure out what it would be.


The call came from the BLM to bring Levi in.  The unfortunate thing is that it was the same day that Sidney, Noel and Sabrina were all out of town.  Yikes.  It would need to be just Levi and I.  I was a bit nervous to load him up and take him over there, then take him back to the ranch after the experience and unload him.  I convinced my mom to join me for moral support.


Levi loaded like a champ.  Sidney had asked me to tie him off on the outside of the trailer, just in case he freaked out, I would have a way to let him loose without jumping in the trailer to do so.

When we got to the BLM, I managed to walk him through the corrals and back to the branding area.  He was on high alert, as there were some new horses in the corrals and everything was new, really.  Not to mention, I was probably nervous too.  Once we got to the back of the corrals, Logan came out to meet us.  He took Levi from there.


They loaded Levi into the squeeze shoot, which is what they use to keep the horses stable while freeze branding them.  It was a quick and easy process.  Levi did great. 

Logan and Zach were fantastic and tried to make it a non-traumatic experience.  They let Levi loose to run around the round pen afterwards.  They had me back up to the loading chute.  However, after spending some time with Levi, they were impressed and decided to lead him down the chute into the trailer.  I was waiting by the chute like an anxious parent picking their kid up from school.


I got Levi home and back into his corral in no time.  He was such a good boy!!!

No comments: