Thursday, May 21, 2020

Saying Goodbye to 'My' Old Faithful.

For those of you that know me, I love to walk (and run).  When Kevin and I were in college, I was running a lot of long distance races.  I did a lot of my training in the dark early hours of the morning or late at night.  It made Kevin crazy nervous to have me out running in the dark by myself.  I was not at all concerned, until my friend shared a couple horror stories.  So at the first chance, Kevin drove to Sears (yes, Sears!), and bought me a Nordictrack treadmill.  We set this treadmill up in the detached garage of our college apartment.  I ran MANY miles on this treadmill.  I would get up and run on it until it got light out, then I would finish my run outside.

I was a bit of a nut back then.  I remember one long run where I 'thought' I had broken in my new shoes, only to be running on blisters about 8 miles into the run.  This was before cell phones.  I ran into a restaurant and asked the hostess to borrow the phone.  I called Kevin, not to pick me up, but rather to bring me my old shoes.  He obliged.  I switched shoes and kept on running.

Well after 20 long and fruitful years, my faithful Nordictrack decided to give out on me.  Of course, it happened in the middle of quarantine, when everyone in the world was ordering home fitness equipment.  I got in line and had to wait several weeks for my new treadmill to ship.  If I was a really patient person, which I am not, I could have waited several months and picked up a nearly new one on Craigslist.

I hope my new treadmill brings me as many joyous years and as many stress relieving miles as my old one.  If you are wondering why I have a mirror in front of my treadmill, it is not to admire myself.  Although it has certainly made me think twice about brushing my hair before running.  The treadmill used to be 90 degrees turned from where it is now.  I could look out the window while I ran.  I could also see anyone entering the room.


However, it was very dangerous.  I did not fully appreciate the dangers of the back of the treadmill against the wall until I proceeded to fall while running one morning.  Yes, my mind was not on task.  Yes, I was not wearing the safety clip.  Yes, I was way too coordinated to fall off the treadmill, after all there is nothing to trip over.  I have zero explanation, but yes, I fell.  It hurt like no other.  The thing about a treadmill is that it does not stop (well, at least if you are not wearing the safety clip).  I was tossed about, repeatedly hitting the back wall, while the belt burnt my exposed skin.  I should mention that it was 5am in the morning.  I should mention that I was cursing like a sailor.  I should also mention that Sidney's bedroom is on the other side of the wall.  Needless to say, when she woke up that morning she wanted to know what had prompted such colorful language.  How embarrassing!  

Back to the mirror, so when I turned the treadmill I could no longer see who was entering the room.  I did not want anyone sneaking up behind me and giving me a heart attack.  After a few surprise visits and near fatal wounds for all parties involved, I invested in this beautiful 'rear view' mirror.  I can only hope that I am fortunate enough to get another 20 years out of this new treadmill!

No comments: