Monday, July 4, 2016

Blessing or a Curse?

So here is a funny story.  Wish Granters held their sixth annual playhouse raffle a few weeks back.  Raffle tickets are $1 each and they usually pick two of the houses to auction off.  We take the girls each year and let them throw a few dollars into the playhouse raffle of their choosing.  The drawing is held on a Sunday afternoon at 4pm.  This year the  girls had left for my parents house the Friday prior to the raffle. 
 
On Saturday, as Kevin and I were driving around pretending we were newly married and had no obligations, he declared that he had a "really bad feeling about this playhouse thing."  He just knew the girls were going to win one this year, then what?  I laughed him off.  The next day as I was out in the garage, I heard my phone ring inside the house.  I looked down at my watch.  No kidding...4:15pm.  I answer the phone only to learn we are the proud owners of a new playhouse.  They would be delivering it to our driveway the following morning.
 
WHAT?  Like any good parent, we plotted ways at which we could lie to our children and tell them they had not won the playhouse.  Our good conscience won out, and we called to tell them the news.  We had to pull the phone away from our ears as squeals and giggles emitted from the other end.
 
The next day our troubles began. The playhouse was delivered and it was definitely too big to fit through the side gate.  The only way to get it into the back yard was to get a forklift (or something) and take it around the block to the grass alley between us and our back neighbor.  WAY too far for a group of men to carry.  After searching for a forklift to rent for a day or so, I texted our neighbor Matt.  He knows all kinds of people.  He immediately told me he would ask his buddy "Joe".  I debated in my head whether "Joe" was a fictional character and wondered whether Matt would ever get back to us.  Five hours later, Matt came through.  "Joe" said we needed to call tuff shed.  They would have a 'guy'.  What a great idea! 
 
The following Monday they came over and took the new playhouse around the block and into the backyard.  There it sits.  A permanent part of our residence now.  Never to be moved again.
 
Terrell had a leftover piece of linoleum, so we laid that down.  I went to Walmart and bought a $4 spray can of chalkboard paint.  Now let the party begin!
 
Yes, it has been a party.  Hannah slept over last night, and the girls were out there playing by 8 am.  They are still out there playing 5 hours later.



Kendall minding the store and pretending to eat a cupcake. 

Sidney working the drive thru.

 Do you think we can talk Grandma Karen into some window treatments?

No comments: