Wednesday, March 25, 2015

At Just the Right Moment.

I have been struggling to sort through everything that life has thrown us.  Many days I take comfort in the promises that God has made to us, many days I do not.  There are days when I rely on my own strength.  I allow what "I know" to guide my emotions.  It is on those days that I feel tormented.  

You see...I want control.  I want to plan the next steps, but I do not get to.  As I was wrestling with this the other day, I opened my devotional Jesus Calling.  My dear friend, Leslie, had given me this book as a gift last winter.  Here is what it said:

It was exactly what I needed to be reminded of. 

Kevin is an amazing man.  He is the strongest man I have ever met.  He has just completed his 8th round of Chemo.  A few weeks ago, he had a very rough go of it.  We spent one night in the emergency room.  Thankfully, Terrell was able to come over and stay at the house and watch the girls.  The side effects were taking their toll.  That Friday, the oncologist chose not to do chemo.  It was disheartening for Kevin, but it turned out to be the best thing ever.  He had one extra week to recover.  He said that at the end of that extra week, he felt the best he had in months. 

I have also learned to become "nurse Heather".  I can start IV's, flush ports, de-access ports and give shots (subcutaneous only of course).  I think the home health nurse was quite impressed as she showed me how to do the IV's.  After about one hour of instruction and copious notes, she asked me to walk her through it.  In the end she said, "Wow.  I do not think I have ever had anyone get it right the first time."  My left-brained self paid off.

Our friend Valerie arranged for us to use her time share in McCall last weekend.  It is amazing what a little time out of town will do.  It was SO good to relax and enjoy some time together.  We got up there late Friday night.  The girls were in the pool within 5 minutes. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are amazing Heather...I know this is so very hard for you...but what a perfect devotional for what you are going through. God knows your needs... rely on Him and the knowledge that he will never leave you or forsake you. Kevin is an amazing person...you are so very lucky to have him in your life and I know you know this. We had a wonderful time with him this past week...he is so positive and strong and he loves you and the girls so very much...We love you all very much and are here to help in any way you possibly need...please just ask. Sherry & Roy <3