Saturday, December 18, 2010

The odd one out.

Last night, I was the odd one out in my house.  This never felt so good.  Kevin, Kendall and Sidney were all very sick last night.  Kendall had it the worst.  She got sick nearly every half hour from 5pm last night until 5am this morning.  Poor girl!  It hurt my heart to watch all of them.  Needless to say, I did not get a wink of sleep.  I informed Sidney this morning that I have not been this sleep deprived since she was born.  It is amazing what adrenaline will do!

The really sad part is that I had planned to take Kendall to see the Nutcracker Ballet today.  The neighbor girls were going with us.  In my delusional state, I still thought this was possible until my good friend Kristin brought me back to reality.  In the best interest of all, the Nutcracker would have to be postponed. 

Now all I had to do was deliver the bad news.  First, I called my neighbor.  She was very understanding.  She also shared that her daughters first year in preschool was a sickness nightmare.  My twisted mind found this somewhat reassuring as we have been plagued by illness the last couple of months.  Next, I had to tell Kendall.  She had just mustered enough energy to get "all dressed up".  Then I had to go tell her that we would not be able to go.  The bright side is that we have a plan to go with the neighbor girls to see a movie during the holiday.  I also told her that we could try to go next year.  Ridiculous as it may seem, I seriously felt near tears telling her (maybe it was the sleep deprivation?).  She just put her little arms around my neck and said, "It's okay mommy.  We can go when I start feeling better."  Wasn't I supposed to be consoling her?

So for now, I remain healthy.  However considering the proximity to all three sick people, it is very likely that I will end up with the flu.  My pessimistic side says,  "It is not a matter of IF as much as a matter of WHEN."  My optimistic side says, "I really hope that I can escape this one."  I make a terrible sick person!

3 comments:

Gerbicks said...

although i would think to myself: i will get sick eventually, i will tell you this instead: you will not get sick! you will escape it!

adeline was always sick last year, her first year of preschool. this year she's only been sick 1-2 a month, so there is improvement...

hope you all are feeling better soon!

The Strongs said...

Thanks for your well wishes Heidi! This is good to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Day 3 and so far, so good. I am feeling optimistic at this very moment. Have an excellent holiday!!!!

The Brousseau Family said...

Hope you don't get it, a very Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)