Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Run for the Mountains"

Last Friday night at dinner time, we were talking to the girls about Grandma Karen coming to visit.  Kendall looked at Kevin and said "Run for the Mountains, Daddy".  Kevin and I looked at each other laughing.  I asked Kendall, "What exactly do you mean when you say that?"  She innocently replied, "Well, that is what you do when something is coming."  Hmmm.   Simple enough, but definitely good for a laugh.  My mom came to visit this week.  She got here last Saturday and left today (sadly!).
She is quickly becoming known as the "shoe grandma".  The girls always seem to get a very special pair of shoes when she visits.  Sidney picked out these very awesome pink boots.  She put them on in the store and has had them on since.  She even has a blister on her leg from wearing them, but that has not stopped her.  On that note, I have officially lost the authority to pick out her clothes.  She is definitely developing her own sense of style.  Thus begins the stage where all my pride goes out the window, and I venture out in public with children that find there is nothing wrong with pink cowboy boots and lime green shorts.  Kendall picked out a pair of FANTASTIC Hello Kitty slippers.  They are big and pink and have lots of polka dots.  We will try to get a picture of those later.
Kevin brought home a pumpkin this week and skillfully showed the girls how to turn the fabulous pumpkin into a Jack-o-Lantern.  I must admit I freaked out a bit when he started to carve the pumpkin at the kitchen table without any newspaper underneath.  Much to my happiness, he did a terrific job of keeping it clean and my worry was definitely unwarranted.  I should have known.

One of the highlights of my Mom's visit was that we went to watch Kendall's dance class.  Her teacher, Miss Kim, is awesome.  I cannot begin to imagine sustaining the energy level she had.  Did I mention the patience, also?

Sidney even got in on the fun.  Kendall just loved bossing her little sis around.  "Sidney go stand on your sticker.  Sidney go pick up your pumpkin.  Sidney..."  Really, she is a great big sis, trying to teach Sid everything she knows.

 My mom read the girls a ton of books while she was here.  Here she is reading "The Very Hungry Catepillar".  We started a six-week literacy class at the library.  It is HIGHLY recommended.  We are in week two and have been learning so many things.  They also gave us a book bag with six books (one for each concept) and a bucket of magnetic letters.  Last week we learned about clapping out syllables.  This week we talked about developing narrative skills.  The girls are really enjoying it.


My mom was kind enough to take a picture of me with the girls before she left today.  Thanks for visiting mom.  We wish you lived next door!  I promise Kevin would not "run for the mountains".


No comments: