Monday, April 22, 2024

Mexican Food, Mustangs and the Beach.

 Sidney and I took a trip to the gorgeous central coast of California.  You see, I started watching this trainer.  His name is Warwick Schiller.  He is from Australia, but recently bought a beautiful 42 acre ranch in Paso Robles.  I found some inexpensive plane tickets for Sid and I to go watch one of his 2 day clinics at his ranch.  We flew in on Friday morning and drove to San Luis Obispo.  We hit up the campus store for some awesome swag and went to visit the horses.


The young herd came down to greet us.  Not sure how we timed that so perfectly.

They lined up for butt scratches from Sid.

Sid and I met up with some of my friends for dinner.  We were a bit early, so we took time for selfies and devoured a plate of chips and Salsa. 


 I am super sad that I failed to get a picture with Fran and Brian, but it was so good to see them!!!  It had been 20 years since we last caught up.  Fran and I ran my first half marathon together.  Well, I stole a picture off her facebook page for this blog. 

Here they are with their son, Jude.  Fran had just given birth to Jude when we first moved to San Luis Obispo and became friends.

When Sid and I got to the hotel that night, we laid out our swag.  I think we may have went overboard.

The next morning we woke up early and headed to the ranch for day one of the clinic.  

It was a chilly start to the morning, but the mist disappeared by the afternoon and we both walked away with a bit of sunburn.  Sidney encouraged my fangirl moment and encouraged me to get a picture with Warwick.  I am glad I did.  The clinic did not disappoint.

There were 10 horses and handlers.  He broke them down into group of 3ish and worked with each group for 2-3 hours.  The first two groups did all their work in hand.  The last group of the day did their work in the saddle. 

We skipped out of the clinic at 3:30 in order to get some beach time.  The first day we went to my favorite beach, which has turned out to be the girls favorite beach as well, Avila beach.  




Avila Beach did not disappoint.  We topped off the evening with ice cream for Sid and an amazing iced Chai tea for me.  

We woke up early for day two of the clinic.  It was even better than the first day. The participants actually spend three days in the clinic.  Friday they work with Warwick, but it is not open to spectators.  


We skipped out at 3:30 again, to ensure we had time for another beach evening.  We grabbed In n Out, mostly because Sid wanted to show her friends that she went to an In n Out that did not have a waiting line.

We went to Morro Bay the second evening.  It is equally iconic, but totally different from Avila Beach.  Morro Bay is a working beach, with active fishing boats.  It is always a treat to watch.



It was such a fun trip.  We learned so much and enjoyed every moment of every day.

No comments: