Monday, July 2, 2012

Faces.

Many years ago (long before children), I started a collection of Willow Tree Angels.  Each of these figurines mark a special occasion in my life and I have received most of them as gifts.  When each of the girls were born, I bought some of the figures to celebrate the occasion and have kept them in their rooms.  The unique thing about the Willow Tree Angels is that they do not have faces painted on them.  Or at least they did not used to.

Tonight as I was tucking Sidney into bed, I saw both her and Kendall's angels sitting on the bed.  Something about them was different.  As I reached for them, Sidney proudly told me that her big sister Kendall had put faces on the angels.  Of course, she had helped.  I looked in horror at first.  Then as I went out to scold Kendall, I could not help but laugh hysterically.  She had tried so hard and put so much detail.  She told me that she really thought they each needed a face and "Don't you think they look so much better mommy?"  Kevin looked up to see the commotion and there we were both of us trying our darnedest not too laugh.
















Even the babies needed faces.  Kendall was so proud and Sidney kept explaining the whole thing to me.  She was so proud of her sister.
















Yes, the angels will never be the same and though I am tempted to be angry, each and every time I look at those crazy faces I will remember today.  I will remember their innocence and how proud they were.  I will remember that no matter how hard I tried to be angry, the laughter could not be suppressed.  They are silly figurines, generic before today and one-of-a-kind after today!

1 comment:

Lizette said...

I love that! That is a precious memory and so adorable. I can't quit laughing looking at their faces too. So cute!