Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Very Long, Very Lovely Christmas Vacation


I had a full two weeks off for Christmas this year.  I cannot even remember the last time that I had a full two weeks off.  There was a saying in the military "choose your rate, choose your fate".  Teaching was looking pretty good after that time off!  All joking aside, it was very restful.  I can honestly say that at the end of the two weeks, I was refreshed and ready to head back to work. 
 
We traveled up North to visit our family for the first week.  We celebrated Christmas Eve with Kevin's side of the family.  Lisa outdid herself once again with a delicious meal.  Then we had our annual bingo night.  Both of the girls participated this year and were quite competitive.  Kendall even stole my favorite lotion from me (Twilight Woods).  She keeps it in her bathroom and taunts me with it everyday.  Sidney swiped a Duck Dynasty doll for Kevin, and I scored a pack of OPI nail polish.  In fact, I just got finished putting a fresh coat on.  My nails are drying as I type.
 
We spent Christmas day with my family.  Kendall found these awesome glasses in her stocking and dubbed them her "gift opening glasses".

Sidney scored a Doc McStuffins dress up outfit.  Super cute!

Kevin joined in on the fun and helped the girls dig into their gifts.

My sister got each of the girls a very special Bible for Christmas.  They loved them and have been taking them to church and Awana ever since. 

Kevin had picked out these wild and crazy exercise outfits for each of the girls.  When Kevin and I were shopping for them, I can honestly say I thought they were a bit ridiculous.  Kevin insisted the girls would love them, and he was right.  The other morning Sidney chose the PBS fitness show over cartoons and did the entire 1/2 hour of exercises. 

The first year that Kevin and I were married, we lived in California.  We bought an artificial Christmas tree for $20.  The tree was likely the first artificial tree ever made.  It was about 6 ft. tall and very Charlie Brown.  We have used that tree for the past 16 years.  For the past six or seven years, we have discussed buying a new one, yet each year passes and we do nothing.  This year, we hit up the after Christmas sales and purchased a brand new, pre-lit artificial tree.  It is 9 feet tall and has multi-colored lights.  We had to search long and hard for a 9 ft. tree with colored lights! 

Kevin suggested that I take our old tree and put it up in another room and make a theme tree. The notion seemed way to extravagant for my tastes, until...I came up with a marvelous idea.  A photo tree.  I found these foam gingerbread men and snowmen on sale.  I printed up a ton of black and white family photos, bought some puffy paint to add a bit of color and away I went.  We are all ready for next year!

No comments: