Saturday, August 21, 2010

Decisions, Sickness, Shopping, Firsts, The Crew and Fun - What a Week!

I am not sure where to begin, so I will start somewhere in the middle, move to the beginning and hopefully wind up at the end.

Firsts...
Sidney started drinking out of a cup this week.  WooHoo.  Granted I am only brave enough to put an inch of liquid in the cup. 

Sickness...
Kendall had another bout of asthma and it was a rough time.  What would be a normal cold for most kids (Asher and Sidney had a runny nose for a day), turns into a huge ordeal for Kendall.  It started last Sunday night with a small cold.  By Monday, I ended up staying home with her.  Kevin took Tuesday, Rebecca took Wednesday and we finally went to the doctor on Thursday.  To make things even crazier, throw in that I was scheduled to travel to Oakland for the day on Wednesday - yikes!  We just have no clue what we are doing.  It always starts with a cold, then the cough sets in, then the sleepless nights, then the high fevers.  This is the third time we have went through this.  Each time, it seems we get a little bit wiser.  We have learned that the coughing is a reactionary result of her lungs gasping for air.  The sleepness nights are because laying down puts more pressure on the chest, thus increasing the cough and lessening the ability to breathe.  The fevers are from...who knows...I guess a combination of everything.  On Thursday, we went to the doctor and he put her on 3 days of Prednisone.  He mentioned that she may be hyper and hungry.  We gave her the first dose and within two hours she was eating like a horse (after having not eaten for nearly 3 days).  She did not fall asleep until 10pm and was awake bright-eyed at 5am the next morning.  We have now worked out a game plan with her doctor on how to try and head this off the next time she gets a cold.  We also tried to get a little more direction on how to determine at what point we need to bring her in.  It is so tough seeing your child suffer through so much.  She is such a brave and strong little girl.  It amazes me how matter of fact she handles it.

Fun...
The girls are absolutely a blast nowadays.  Did I mention they are also quite a handful?  I suppose that is to be expected, as Kevin and I are constantly reminding ourselves that they are 2 and 3-1/2 years old.  At one point this week I sent the girls out onto the porch to eat a GoGurt, then ran to fold some laundry.  I looked out onto the porch only to find that they had dragged nearly every blanket from their rooms and had made a picnic on the porch.  They were just sitting there having a blast.

Shopping...
After much persuasion from my mom and sister and many failed attempts at finding things I loved, I am now a fan of Kohl's.  The last two times I have went there, the deals have been endless.  The coupons have been amazing.  My christmas shopping list is getting smaller.  Yes, I have already begun.  After all, a girl needs a reason to shop!

The Crew...

The Nelson kids came over for the evening tonight.  It is always fun to have them here.  Sidney's birthday is "officially" next Saturday.  We celebrated it in July when we were camping with our family.  We were not planning on having a party with her peers until next year.  However when Kendall found out the Nelson's were coming over, she suggested that we make Sidney cupcakes and sing her Happy Birthday.  This thought had never even occurred to me.  So that is exactly what we did.  It was a great impromtu party!



Which brings me to my last topic...

Decisions...
UGH!  For those that know our family, you know how much we have been blessed the past couple of years to have a friend in our life like Rebecca that has taken such good care of our kids while we go off to work each day.  We have made a very tough decision to move the kids to a preschool closer to our house.  We have been wrestling with this for quite some time and finally decided to make the move.  One of the results of this move will be mandatory date nights for both the Nelson's and us each month so that "the crew" can hang-out.  What a bummer, not sure if we will be able to handle that one:)  

Well, I think I have covered just about all of them.  What surprises will this week hold?

1 comment:

Gerbicks said...

i love your posts for many reasons, but one being that our girls are so close in age & are doing so much of the same things...i laughed out loud about the blankets on the porch thing b/c the double a's do that ALL THE TIME! only they call it building a nest.
we are working on getting another round of pen-pal stuff out to kendall soon...addy keeps saying that 'this picture painting isn't good enough for my pal' ??? maybe the next one.