Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Can we fix it? Yes, we can!

I will end this blog with the grand finale, but first...the beautiful screen door.  Our back door is strange.  It opens the wrong way.  We like to let fresh air in, but not the bugs and a traditional screen door would just not work.  Sidney had told me about our neighbors mesh door.  Kevin and I had one of those vanishing screen doors at our last house, and I hated it.  Sid convinced me to try this one out.  I LOVE IT!  My friend Kristin says there is no way she would have one of these, too many snakes by her house.  Thank goodness snakes are not prevalent at our house (knock on wood)!  It took only a day or two for Bailey to get the hang of it.  I keep expecting him to go charging through the grandparents screen doors now.


My garden fence had started to fall down, our neighbor got a dog and we put up a pool in our side yard.  All of these things combined required me to put a temporary fence up.  Well, my dad helped me build this more permanent fence with a lovely gate for our side yard.  It is perfect.  No more fence barking, no more dogs in the pool and not trampled veggies.  Heaven!

Kendall has been mowing the lawn for a year or two now.  Sidney decided this was her year to go for it.  I am so happy to have my own landscaping crew.  I love the help, but most of all I love that I am raising strong, capable, independent women!

This last story makes me the most happy.  My check engine light went on last week.  I was super frustrated as I had just had the vehicle in for service.  I told my mom that I had an appointment to get it checked, but just to plug it in to the machine they would charge me a hundred dollars.  My dad mentioned that O-Reilly could plug it in and check it for me.  I recalled Kevin loving O'Reilly.  I turned left instead of right and pulled into their parking lot.  The man said, "Yes, I can do that, but it will cost you $500."  I gasped then realized he was joking.  I replied, "Great, because the dealership will probably charge me double."  He went out and had me plug in the computer.  It gave him a code, which he then typed into his system.  He pulled up the part that was the likely culprit.  It was a $30 part.  I said, "Thank you, well at least I know when I take it in."  He looked at me and said, "It is two screws, a hose and an electrical plug. You've got this."  I failed to mention to him that I used to be an aircraft mechanic.  Why to automobiles intimidate me so much?  Probably because I do not have the repair manual.  Oh, but I do have YouTube.  I walked out the door with a $30 part.  




After dinner, I gave it a shot.  It took me 30 minutes to change, 20 of those minutes were trying to figure out the quick disconnect hose that none of my YouTube videos showed.  Finally, I found one that did show it!  Well after replacing the part, I started up the vehicle.  UGH, the check engine light was still on.  The next morning, I called a mechanic that I have used in the past that is super trustworthy and honest.  I relayed the whole story and asked if I could bring my vehicle in.  He said, "Oh, I am certain you changed the right part.  The light just has to be cleared."  What?  He instructed me to go back to O'Reilly.  They could hook their machine up, and I could clear the light.  Yep, that is exactly what I did.  The man working there said that if I changed the defective part, the light would stay out.  If not, it will come back on in about 75-100 miles. So far, so good.

The moral of this story...I am thankful for my dad mentioning an alternative route.  I am thankful for the O'Reilly man believing in me when I was not so sure.  I am thankful for the Pro Auto Care mechanic that was honest enough to tell me the final step.  This is not the first time they have been so amazing!  Most of all, I am thankful to myself for giving it a shot.  I am woman, hear me roar!

No comments: