Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Camp Lolo 2019.

A number of people had told me about Camp Lolo.  It is a camp for kids that have lost a loved one.  When I told the girls about it, neither one of them wanted to attend.  They both imagined a camp where kids sat around and cried and talked to counselors.  Being the understanding mom I am, I signed them up anyways.  

I am so glad I did, as they had the most amazing time!  It is a two day camp.  Parents drop the kids off at 8:30am and pick them up at 5pm.  The second day of camp, the parents arrive at 4pm for our own session on how to support our kids.  

Here are just a few highlights and pictures I stole from Camp Lolo's Facebook page. 

The kids made posters and shared about their loved one.  I watched the Facebook live video of this and could barely keep myself together.  Kevin's poster is on the left.



Clyde the camel visited.  Sidney also got to go horseback riding.  Kendall opted out of that activity.

There were dogs and goats that visited as well.

The kids went fishing and also had the opportunity to go kayaking (which both of the girls happily did).

They participated in yoga classes and arts and crafts.  Each of the kids had a camp 'buddy' that spent the full two days with them.

There were lots of laughter and a few tears.  They second night, my dad joined me for the parent event.  It was so good to have him there.  I have found that I can keep myself together until it is time to share.  As I told the group, despite the tears, we are doing well.

What an amazing gift this camp was.  The girls felt so supported.  They also met peers who had lost someone, be it a parent, sibling, grandparent, etc.  Each of their stories was unique, but they shared a  common thread.

No comments: