Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thankful

There is a lot I am thankful for, but in particular I am thankful for Rebecca. For those who do not know, she is the "wonder woman" who takes care of my children each and every day while I go off to work. I honestly do not think she has ever read this blog (and only vaguely knows about it). But we have truly been blessed to have her entire family in our lives.

Before we adopted Kendall, I used to watch her with her own child (she had only one at the time). So when we were on the adoption list, I asked if she would consider watching our new baby. After much prayer and consideration, she said yes. By the time Kendall was born, she had her second child and a third on the way. WOW! But she was willing to give it a shot.

Kendall was 6 months old when baby Hannah was born. So Rebecca spent the next year taking care of the "twins" (Kendall and Hannah) along with the two boys. She certainly had her hands full. Then along came Sidney. We had other childcare planned for the girls after Sidney's arrival, but Rebecca's heart did not want to let them go. Seriously, can you imagine that??? So she gave it a go - and it worked.

She loves my children as if they were her own. They get experiences that they otherwise would not have. The other day they went to the park and flew kites. She teaches them preschool, takes them to the library, takes them to the home improvement store, to the park, to Eli's school programs, to the zoo, to ice cream sundaes at Elmers. Each of these activities are a feat in and of themselves. And this is only to name a few of the things they have done. A few posts back, you may remember that Kevin and I watched all five kids for one night and were exhausted. Yet she does this each and every day!

She is one of the most patient and loving people that I have ever met. Any time I have expressed this to her, she replies "there are many days when I am anything but loving and patient". I know there are days like that. But what I know most of all is that she is motivated by love. A love for my children. That is more than any mother can ask for.


3 comments:

Gerbicks said...

first: do you seriously wake up this early normally?!
second: the few times i hung out with rebecca i was also amazed at her kindness & obvious patience. you & your kids are lucky! (i mean, i wanna fly a kite! lol)

The Strongs said...

first: yes, I do wake up this early. I think it is a curse! Can you do something about that???

second: I want to go for sundae's at Elmers. Lucky kids!

Gerbicks said...

sleeping pills! lol. really, other than that, i don't know...