Monday, September 19, 2022

School of Choice. We Got This!

Sidney has started her fourth year at Gem Prep Online.  I remember when we first went down this road.  Sidney had always experienced a tremendous amount of anxiety.  At one point, Terrell had to have someone meet her at the car to get Sid into the school.  She also suffered from terrible migraines that were often triggered by this anxiety.  After Kevin passed away, I though it might get better, but it only got worse.  I explored some of the various options for school, knowing that I have a full time job and knowing that I needed her to get a good education.  AFter much research, interviews and discussions with teachers and other parents, we chose Gem Prep Online.  Sidney started in 5th grade.  It was a HUGE struggle at first.  I would say the first four months were a bit of a nightmare.  The curriculum was rigorous, Sidney was new to the online platform, and I had to figure out how to make her independent during the school/work day.  After much trial, error and tears, we figured it out.  At one point, I asked her if this was really worth it, as it was the much harder route.  She said to me, "Yes, mama.  I just need to be with my family."

Now, a few years later, she is thriving!  She is taking some amazing classes.  Last spring she took a veterinary science class.  This fall she is taking a digital photography class.  She has learned to reach out to the instructors when she needs help.  She also has met her best friend through the school.  Liza lives about 45 minutes away.  The girls often get on zoom and do their homework together.  

The format has also given her a ton of flexibility.  This week, she was able to spend two gorgeous afternoons at the Ranch with her horse.  Granted, she came home and did her schoolwork well into the evening, but with no complaints.  It is great to see her hitting her stride.




Sidney has even trained Bella to sit next to her during her daily live lessons.  It is hilarious to watch.  The first time I came down to see this, I almost flipped my lid.  However, it was amazing to see how Bella sat there so intently and watched the class right along with Sidney.

During the pandemic, Sidney was already set up in an online school that she loved.  Kendall, on the other hand, struggled as the public schools tried to pivot to online learning.  After Christmas break, in 2020, Kendall asked if she could enroll in Gem Prep.  I agreed to let her, but said she would need to finish out that year, regardless of whether in person school resumed.  She did Gem Prep that spring semester and asked to re-enroll last year.  I agreed to let her give it a shot.

At the end of last year, I was a bit on the fence with Kendall as she did not seem to thrive with the online learning.  I could not distinguish whether it was the rigorous curriculum or the learning format.  After talking with a few of her teachers, and the school counselor, I learned that it was likely a bit of both.  The curriculum is pretty advanced and moves very quickly.  I also know that Kendall naturally does better in person.  Her school counselor and I looked at her fall schedule and came up with a plan.  Kendall would normally take six classes (one of which is a college course).  Instead, we agreed to have her take five classes, (two of them being college courses and one of those being an in person elective of her choosing at the local community college).  Of all the classes, she chose philosophy - what?

We are now six weeks into the school year, and I can confidently say Kendall is thriving as well.  She has found the perfect balance.  She goes to in person class two afternoons a week and has the other classes online.  She is staying ahead of her coursework and doing very well.  I am super glad that we found a solution that worked for her.  I am also super thankful that we have so many choices, for both girls.  When I was growing up, there were not many options.  Now there are endless options.




The past couple of weeks, the girls have been waking up early to do pilates before starting school.  Kendall found this instructor that she likes I'm sweaty and I know it.  I have done it with her a few times, and it is pretty good.  She now has Sidney hooked.  This morning, I heard endless laughter coming from the den and went in to find both of them exercising and giggling incessantly.  Yes, this is a good thing!


No comments: