Thursday, March 13, 2014

Yes, that is my child screaming!

I am writing this story for the girls to read when they are mothers of young children.  I want them to know that we have all been there!  I want them to know that as wonderful as they are, they too have caused their mom to experience “that moment”.

We had an incident in the mall the other day.  However, it was not my first incident.  It was my second disastrous moment.  It was that dreaded moment that every mom encounters.  The moment when you wish a great sinkhole would open up and swallow you up.  The moment when you know that all eyes are turned on you.  Many of them thinking, “I am so glad my kid’s would never do that.”  But, alas, they all do!  Some are just more vocal than others, and my girls are vocal indeed!

I remember the first incident like it was yesterday.  I reminded Kendall of it the other day.  We laughed at it heartily.  After all, it was hindsight.  We have come very far since that dreadful day at the gift shop in Seely, Montana.  It was the day that I took Kendall in the bathroom, and she screamed like a mad woman.  After the screaming had subsided, I had to carry her out with my head held high through the store.  UGH!

Last weekend was Sidney’s turn, and I was so much calmer, so much more prepared.  I could actually make eye contact with other women as I carried her from the play land, through JCP, through the parking lot and into the van.  As I recall, her screaming stopped about halfway home and was replaced with a deep sleep. 

How did this happen you might be asking?  It all started off innocently enough.  Kevin took Kendall out to Vallivue to finish some work.  I decided to take Sidney to the mall play area.  We had been there for about 90 minutes.  She had met a few other girls her age.  They were a bit older than the rest of the kids, and their play had turned a bit rough.  They were pulling, swinging, running and generally acting a bit too wild for an indoor play area.  Like any responsible parent, I called Sidney over to sit and relax for a few minutes. 

It was at that moment that things went downhill in a hurry.  She crossed her arms and started to show serious attitude.  I calmly asked her to go put on her shoes.  She would not.  I then went to get her shoes.  She would not let me put them on either.  I explained to her that we would be going home.  If she would not put on her shoes, I would have to carry her out to the van.  She huffed, puffed and said no.  If I sound like a saint, I actually was on this day.  The universe was with me, because I actually felt calm and had compassion for my tired little girl.  I tossed her shoes in my backpack and picked her up gently. 

Approximately 3 feet out of the play area, the screaming began.  By screaming, I mean ear-piercing, top of her lungs, screaming.  It was just like a broken record.  “I want my shoes on.  I want my shoes on.”  What was a mom to do?  She was hysterical.  I just had to walk, and walk I did.  Quickly and calmly, out to the van.  Thank you to the many women that I passed that smiled at me warmly and knowingly.  Yes, at some point, if you are going to be a mom, you are going to have an experience that only other mom’s can appreciate.  I now have two (one for each child).  Lucky Me!

No comments: