Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fish, Froggies and A Few Other Random Thoughts.

Kevin just returned from a fishing trip with his brother Roy and our nephew Cody.  From what I am told, they had a great trip.  When asked what they talked about..."nothing".  Really?  3 days of fishing and you talked about nothing.  Boys, I will never understand them.
Speaking of differences, the other day I was driving with the girls.  I cannot remember what prompted the conversation.  It may have been that we were discussing Kendall's new favorite park, Gerber Park.  I cannot understand why this is her favorite park.  Aunt Stephie took them there when she visited and Kendall left her beloved Giraffe there.  Aunt Stephie giveth Giraffe and Aunt Stephie taketh away Giraffe.  No more lime green giraffe butt to caress Kendall's face every night.  Alright a little too much information, but Kevin and I have always marveled at how happy a green giraffe butt could make a child.  As I was saying, the girls and I were talking.  Somehow they got on the topic of how Grandma Karen is my mommy, Papa Mark is my daddy and Aunt Stephie is my sister.  I always ask the girls what their favorite part of something is.  So naturally, they wanted to know what my favorite thing about Aunt Stephie was.  I told them that my favorite thing about Aunt Stephie was how different she is from me.  My sister and I are polar opposites and I love her for that.  She is zany, spontaneous, loud, talks 100 miles a minute, trips over her own two feet, has the wildest hair in all the land (next to Sidney).  She lives life to the fullest.  When she is around there is never a dull moment.  She often tells me that I take myself too seriously, she is right!  As I watch my girls grow up and form their own bonds, I realize how lucky I am to have a sister.  There is not another relationship in the world like that of two sisters.  It is the most volatile, most loving, most safe relationship one could ever have.  Just to prove my point, here is my sister showing the girls how to properly use the sit and spin.

Kendall and Sidney had their last day of school for the summer.  They were very excited to take cupcakes in to celebrate with their friends.  On their request we made chocolate cupcakes.  On Kevin's request, we topped each one with a green frog.  Random!  Though I must say, the green frogs were a hit. 
I think I reported a month or so ago that Sidney was doing great in the potty training department.  It was a bit premature.  The following week she reverted back to diapers.  So last Friday when I picked them up from their last day of school for the summer, off went the diapers.  The following day, as we were visiting the Brandt's, I spotted the m&m jar.  Later that day I bought a clear glass jar, filled it full of m&m's.  I promised Sidney one m&m for each time she is dry and goes potty in the toilet.  She has been a peeing machine.  On Saturday she sat on the toilet for 20 minutes.  I kept urging her to get off because I was so bored, but no.  She sat there and did not take her eye of the candy jar.  I think I may have found the right motivator. 

One more random thought before I go.  Kendall has been very interested in driving lately.  She tells me that I have to wait my turn at the stop light or that would be very bad.  She says that we cannot push the car in front of us or that will be very bad, etc.  The other day, out of the blue she asks me if I will buy her a car when she grows up (for goodness sake she is only fours years old and still uses training wheels on her bicycle).  What is she going to do with a car?  So I told her "No".  She will have to save her money.  She thought about this and a few minutes later said, "Mom, we need to start the marbles back up in the morning.  I get lots of quarters when we do that." 

No comments: