Sunday, November 29, 2009

"Black Sunday"

As my sister and I (and Kevin) were standing in line at the absurd hour of 4:30am on Friday, we began to ponder where the term "Black Friday" came from. We were coming up with a lot of ridiculous ideas, when the lady behind us was kind enough to interject. She told us that black Friday refers to the day when retailers go from the RED to the BLACK on their accounting books.
I have a different sort of holiday on Thanksgiving. I refer to it as "Black Sunday". The day in which everyone leaves to go home. It is a very sad day! The house goes from stuffed to the gills and noisy to empty and quiet. UGH.
Speaking of Black Friday, we did score lots of loot. Most of it I cannot mention due to sworn secrecy. But, we did get ALMOST everything we wanted. The one item we did not get was a real bummer. Apparently Target had maps. We did not get one of these maps because we were not there early enough. Let me tell you, the line at Target was seriously wrapped 3/4 of the way around the building. So as Kevin ran to electronics, my sister and I watched carts full of "the item" passing by. Unbenownst to us, they had the item set up in the women's apparel department. Go Figure!
This was the first year that I decided to brave Black Friday and I must say, it was a blast. Everyone seemed to be in great spirits. I did not witness any fist fights or hair pulling. My sister does have a nice bruise on her heel from repeatedly being run into by shopping carts.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Lots of food, family and friends. Sidney is now up to 7 words. Let me see if I can remember them all: mama, dada, Emma (her dolly), banana, bye-bye, up, and Papa. Grandma is pretty bitter that Papa keeps getting first billing.
The one part of our holiday that was not quite complete was the absence of one our of "regulars". Terrell was not able to make it this year. GRRR! Her coworker decided to snatch the day off after Thanksgiving, so she had to work. The nerve:) We all really missed her. Black Friday was just not complete without her!

No comments: