Monday, May 30, 2016

Girls on The Run - 5K.

Kendall participated in Girls on the Run this year, affectionately known as GOTR.  This is an outstanding program open to girls grades 3rd through 5th.  They met twice a week for an hour and a half.  At each practice, they received a "growing up" lesson, then they walked or ran for about 30-45 minutes.  The program started in February and ended with a 5K run this spring. 

 A little secret about me, I get super emotional at racing events.  Be it a triathlon, marathon or 5K, I get huge lumps in my throat.  This race did not disappoint.  I was Kendall's designated running partner for the race.  As we pulled into the parking lot and I started seeing the crowds of people walk in, I had to fight back the emotion.  I know it is a bit weird, but it is what it is.  I have been to many races.  I have competed in marathons and triathlons for years.  My dad is a 2 time Ironman.  My mom was also a triathlete for many years. These races are so personal for each and every participant.  Each person is there with their own goal.  Each person has their own story.  For some it is easy, for some it is a huge challenge, but for everyone it is an event.  Along the race, I heard one mom tell her daughter that they had reached the point in which mental toughness was the key.  How true it is.  Yes, this was just a 5K, but for some it may as well have been an Ironman.
 

Here is part of her team, just before the race.  Lots of nervous giggles.

Kendall held their team sign as the girls walked into place at the start.  Then, the race was on.  When the start gun went off, the girls took off like it was a 50 yard dash.  I called Kendall back, and we fell into a rhythm.  She ran very strong up to the turnaround.  Then, she high fived her team mates as she saw them on her way back.  Then, it was time for mental toughness.  We would pick a short goal (sign,. light pole, etc) and concentrate on that.  Then it was on to the next goal.  My extroverted daughter finished like a champ as she approached the roar of the onlookers near the finish.  Her legs kicked it into high gear and she crossed the finish line in a dead on sprint.    
 
Her practice 5K time was 50 minutes.  Her race 5K time was 38 minutes and 43 seconds.  I am so proud of her!.  She is already asking to do it again in the fall.
 

No comments: