Wednesday, November 26, 2014

An Update on Kevin's Treatment and other topics.

It seems that the days have been filled with a lot of appointments as we all figure out the best course of treatment.  Kevin has had a liver biopsy, PET scan, port placement and 13 rounds of radiation treatment.  The radiation was intended to shrink the mass in his esophagus and allow him to eat again.  So far, it has not opened up much.  The doctors say that it can take up to 2 weeks after the radiation stops.  He is getting IV fluids several days a week which has helped him quite a bit with the nausea. 

Friday he starts chemotherapy.  His chemo will be every 2 weeks for approximately 12 rounds.  He will be at the infusion center for the first 5 hours.  After that, he will come home and be hooked up to a portable pump for (36 hours?).  We took the chemo class Monday that talked about all of the side affects.  Very bad class.  It is like listening to all of the warnings on a prescription commercial (i.e. some patients experience the growth of a third arm...).  They did make it very clear that chemo will affect everyone differently.  We are praying for very few side affects.  His particular drug regimen will likely not result in hair loss...sorry Sidney:)  His coworker put together a great bag of magazines and a movie for him to take to his first round.

We have been reading this book with the girls Let My Colors Out.  It is an awesome book that has helped me describe my feelings as well.  Kevin has been a very good example to me in that he has remained so positive throughout this.  He is not scared.  Mostly sad, sometimes angry, but not fearful.  When I ask him about it, he reply's, "We are all only guaranteed the very day that we are in.  We need to be thankful for each day and live in the present."  So true, yet so very hard for me!  My mom has been here for two weeks helping out while Terrell is recovering from her second knee surgery.  I feel as if I have been on edge, sad, distracted.  I want the cloud to go away.  If you are praying for us, pray that we will all be comforted during this time. 

We are busy preparing for Thanksgiving.  We will have a houseful, which will be great!  My Mom started baking yesterday and will resume today.  The Nelson's are coming.  Terrell will be coming along with a family friend, Christine.  My Sister and her family are driving down today and bringing my Dad.  The girls are excited to see their cousin's. 

I received my first "letter" from Kendall last night.  She sent it airmail off the balcony.  It all started earlier in the day, the girls were not being very nice to each other.  They had gotten physical with each other, and my mom corrected them earlier in the day.  Kendall and Hannah had piano lessons at our house.  After Kendall's lesson was done and Hannah was doing her lesson, Sidney and Kendall preceded to start fighting again.  They laid hands on each other again, totally unacceptable.  It was already after 7 o'clock so I decided the punishment was time out and bedtime to follow.  And, no, they could not come out to say goodbye to Hannah.  Thirty minutes later Kendall sent me an airmail letter "Dear Mom, it makes me very sad that I cannot talk with my best friend Hannah."  I went and chatted with her about it.  We agreed that her punishment for fighting was reasonable, but that I should have let her say goodbye to her friend.  She told me that she really needs to talk to her best friend and they do not get to see each other too much.  I agree!

1 comment:

Gerbicks said...

will pray for comfort & peace for everyone. love you guys!